Australian Embassy



All applicants applying for an Australian passport on a PC8 form must provide a guarantor.

► Section 11 - Guarantor who has known you for more than 12 months
► Section 11 A - Refers to a Guarantor who is the holder of an Australian Passport
► Section 11 B - Refers to a Guarantor who is a Professional

You must ensure that that your guarantor:

  • is 18 years of age or older
  • has known you for at least 12 months (or for children under one year, since birth)
  • is not related to you by birth or marriage
  • is not in a de facto relationship with you
  • does not live at the same address as you
  • is willing and available to discuss your application with us during normal business hours. 

Who can be a guarantor?

1. An Australian citizen who holds a current Australian passport that was issued with at least 2 years validity


2. A non-Australian or Australian who is currently employed in one of these approved professional or occupational groups:

  • Accountants – qualified Chartered Accountants. Members of Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, Australian Society of Certified Practising Accountants, National Institute of Accountants, Registered Tax Agents
  • Bailiffs
  • Barristers, Solicitors and Patent Attorneys
  • Bank Managers except Managers of Bank Travel Centres
  • Elected representatives of Parliaments, Legislative Assembly of Norfolk Island and Municipal or Shire Councils
  • Chartered Professional Engineers
  • Clerks of Courts
  • Clerks of Petty Sessions
  • Dentists
  • Judges
  • Marriage Celebrants
  • Members currently serving in the regular Defence Force with at least five years continuous service
  • Members of the Governance Institute of Australia (formerly Chartered Institute of Company Secretaries)
  • Registered Medical Practitioners
  • Registered Nurses or Midwives
  • Registered Optometrists
  • Registered Psychologists
  • Registered Veterinary Surgeons
  • Pharmacists
  • Public Servants - Current full-time employees of Commonwealth, State, Territory or Local Governments or Statutory Authorities, who have been employed continuously for at least five years by their current employer
  • Stipendiary Magistrates
  • Teachers who are full time and who have been teaching for more than five years at schools or tertiary institutions

What if I can't find a guarantor?

Some applicants find it difficult to obtain a guarantor in Myanmar.  This may be due to the fact they have recently relocated to Myanmar and do not know anyone who has known them for longer than 12 months.

If you are unable to obtain a guarantor in Myanmar, you should obtain a guarantor from a country where you previously lived – e.g. Australia.  You will need to send them Section 11 of the PC8 form, together with one of your passport photos, for them to sign.  Once they have signed the documents, they must send the originals back to you so that you can submit them when you lodge your application.  We cannot accept faxes or emails from your guarantor.  They must send the originals back to you for lodgement.